FOSTERSHARE (Discussion Board)
Share Your Story
Donate to FACT
1. F.A.C.T. is a self-help support group, not a reference agency or resource center, but we do not discourage individual members from assisting others.
2. F.A.C.T. is for anyone who is a former foster child.
3. No alcohol or drugs allowed in F.A.C.T. meetings. We will not turn away those who are currently abusing drugs or alcohol, but because your addiction can only interfere with your recovery from F.A.C.T. issues, we strongly recommend you seek additional help for your addiction.
4. Each person should be allowed (but not required) to speak.
5. No one should get up to leave while a F.A.C.T. meeting is in progress unless it is an
6. We are free to express our emotions as long as it isn't done violently.
7. No feedback or cross-talking is allowed during F.A.C.T. meetings. If feedback is desired, wait until the meeting is over.
8. Do not have side communications--it is discourteous to whoever is talking.
9. No hugging or touching is allowed unless it's desired.
10. If someone is crying, don't offer him or her a tissue or pat the person on the back (this could suggest to them that they shouldn't be crying, which is non-validating and could interfere with their emotional healing).
11. Never ridicule someone for his or her feelings. Be validating towards other people's pain.
12. We listen and express our feelings. We do not prescribe, diagnose, judge or give advice. We offer suggestions if they are sought.
14. We each share responsibility for making the group work. We have no group leader.
15. F.A.C.T. meetings will be limited to 1& 1/2 hours.